We are seeking a Live-in Support Worker/Superintendent for a 6 unit supportive apartment complex in Owen Sound. This position is a dual role with the expectation to fulfil the Live-in Superintendent and Direct Support Worker roles and responsibilities.
Position Overview Live-in Support Worker:
The successful candidate will provide direct support to teach and enhance skills to the tenants to live a more independent and socially active lifestyle, in addition to the Superintendent responsibilities,
Direct Support Hours: 16 hours a week. Shifts will be 4 hours in duration and follow a rotation that includes every other weekend.
Starting Hourly Rate: $21.28 an hour
Support Worker Responsibilities:
- Dedicate time to provide support to tenants in each apartment unit. This includes assistance with all aspects of daily living i.e. preparing meals, cleaning etc.
- Take into account the choices, needs, and wishes of each supported person, involving them in their own plans and day-to-day decisions.
- Promote an environment of empowerment, encouragement and inspiration for the individual’s personal growth.
- Assist with the development and progress of the person’s goals.
- Maintain a safe environment at all times.
- Work collaboratively with support teams.
Position Overview Superintendent:
The Superintendent will perform minor maintenance duties daily in the building’s common areas and grounds and will assist other tenants to remedy issues with their apartment units. The Live-in Superintendent is a salary rated position starting at $600.00 bi-weekly.
- Be responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of the apartment complex and operate and maintain the apartment complex and its equipment to the standards expected by the Owners and Management.
- Conduct business at all times with the highest standards of personal, professional, and ethical conduct.
- Ensure a high level of tenant satisfaction is maintained through regular contact and proactive attention to resident needs by maintaining a harmonious and professional relationship.
- To assist in protecting the Building Owner’s investment in the Property by carrying out regularly scheduled inspections, maintenance and custodial care in a professional manner.
- Communicate with the tenants, trades, team members and site staff on an ongoing basis.
The successful candidate will have a formal knowledge of developmental disabilities. This knowledge would typically be acquired by obtaining a Developmental Services Worker diploma or 2-year related Community College diploma (Child and Youth Worker or Social Services or equivalent education). Current First Aid and CPR certificate, Non Violent Crisis Intervention certificate and WHMIS required within 30 days of hire (training provided).
Superintendent’s Unit: All units in the building are totally newly renovated including new appliances, a shared laundry, independently controlled heat and cooling units. The building is wheelchair friendly, one level living, located a short distance from downtown Owen Sound on a Bus Route. Rent is controlled at an Affordable level and includes water and basic internet service. The Superintendent’s unit is a large, bright one bedroom unit with a westerly view of the harbour. The unit is limited to single occupancy only and must be vacated should the employment agreement be severed.
What is Supportive housing: Community Living Owen Sound and District provides in-home support services to the tenants of this apartment who have a developmental disability. Each tenant must be able to demonstrate a standard level of independence with respect of their daily living skills such that they can safely live independently with the amount of supportive services available to them. The Superintendent is someone who provides advice and acts as a positive role model for the other tenants in the building. The Direct Support Worker is someone who provides support / assistance to the tenants in areas of daily living skills.
Covid-19 Precautions: Please note that successful candidates must provide proof of fully vaccinated status or medical exemption upon hire.
Please submit cover letter and resume by Tuesday, November 30th, 2021 to Manager Quality Assurance and Resources:
Manager; Quality Assurance and Resources
769 4th Ave East
Owen Sound, Ont.
Only those candidates being interviewed will be contacted.
Community Living Owen Sound and District is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, accommodations for interviews and assessments will be provided to qualified candidates/applicants.